Aircraft registration has grown in Malta in recent years, owing in particular to the enactment of the Aircraft Registration Act in 2010, considered to provide a robust legislative framework transposing the Cape Town Convention and the Aircraft Protocol. The procedure for the registration of aircraft in Malta is considered to be expeditious and efficient, and the costs associated with company formation and aircraft registration are considered to be relatively low.
We have provided legal advice relating to the financing of aircraft, working closely with foreign and local advisors on a number of projects involving aircraft finance. Additionally, we provide advice relating to lease structures and associated regulatory, corporate, tax planning and other fiscal matters relating to aviation and aircraft registration in Malta.
We are counsel to the Malta International Airport (Malta’s only airport), a long-standing client of the firm. This relationship has enabled the firm to acquire sector-specific experience in a field which is limited to a small number of players on the Islands.
- advising and assisting clients with the regulatory aspect and the practical aspects of the registration of aircraft in Malta;
- providing corporate advice as to the structure to be adopted for the registration of aircraft (e.g. lease structure).
Collateral and enforcement
- advising clients in relation to security on aircraft and aircraft owners available to financiers;
- assisting and advising clients in connection with the enforcement of security interests on aircraft and aircraft-owners;
- representing clients in all tribunals and courts in Malta in relation to the disputes relating to the enforcement of security, including arrests of aircraft, judicial sales by auction and court approved private sales.
Regulatory and associated advice
- advising aircraft operators on regulatory aspect of aircraft registration and operation;
- providing advice on fiscal matters relating to aircraft registration.