Since Malta’s EU accession, the gaming and betting sector has attracted a large number of multinational gaming companies wishing to reorganise their corporate structures in order to establish a base in Malta. Alternatively, some igaming companies incorporate subsidiaries in Malta for the purpose of applying for online gaming licenses issued by the Malta Lotteries and Gaming Authority.
For the incorporation of igaming subsidiaries, we offer bespoke assistance which ranges from the incorporation of the local company through to the license application process and, thereafter, in compliance and regulatory matters. From an operational perspective, this is complemented by our corporate, employment and advisory support services that are offered subsequent to authorisation. In fact, we are currently involved in a number of cross-border disputes based on the provision of gaming services by operators licensed in Malta.
In landbased gaming, our keynote assignment was to redraft local legislation to regulate manufacturers and operators of gaming devices and amusement machines. This work resulted in the publication of the 2011 regulations. We act for a number of local operators in the land-based gaming sector. We also advise clients operating in other sectors on initiatives requiring Lotteries and Gaming Authority clearance.
Camilleri Preziosi’s iGaming and Landbased Gaming practice group provides:
- assistance in our advisory the choice of remote gaming license type and the application for a remote gaming license;
- an all-encompassing range of advice and assistance throughout the application process, including the incorporation of the company, liaison with the Lotteries and Gaming Authority, assistance in drawing up the company’s business plan, and other related services;
- assistance with compliance requirements on an on-going basis following authorisation. Where necessary, we provide assistance with the help of qualified service providers who are competent in IT infrastructure and compliance audit processes;
- advice on drafting a wide array of documentation, such as service provider and platform agreements, IP license agreements, employment and key official contracts, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, and software licenses and maintenance agreements, amongst others;
- assistance in litigation and dispute resolution on gaming-related issues.